- Proofreading/Line Editing: $0.01 per word. Includes spelling, grammar, usage, syntax, clarity, style, and continuity.
- Developmental Editing: By quote.
- Manuscript Evaluation: $25 for a one-page written evaluation of a novel-length manuscript (55,000 to 110,000 words) This cost is refundable when another service is contracted for within 9 months.
- Research/Consultation: $30.00 per hour.
- Other Book Services: By quote.
I offer a free edit of up to 10 pages for full-length works, or the first 1,000 words for short works. If you would like to hire me after looking over the sample, I'll give you an estimate for the job and we can agree on a deadline. I prefer work emailed in a Word file. I will email you back a Word file with suggestions and corrections in Tracking Mode. You can accept/decline the changes and take into consideration the suggestions, and then I'll do a final proof to make sure no errors have crept back in. (Additional edit passes can be billed per page.) I accept payment via PayPal, with a deposit of half the estimate upon acceptance of the work and the remainder to be paid upon delivery of the finished manuscript.
Experience: Over 20 years professional editing experience in fiction and non-fiction. I've worked in various editing/writing capacities for newspapers, magazines, specialty publications, publishers, and ad agencies. I've also taught university-level creative writing. I use The Chicago Manual of Style, the Dictionary of Modern English Usage, Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, and the New Oxford American Dictionary as my primary resources, but will consult other resources as the need arises. I'm currently letting my corporate/business work trail off to allow me to work more with indie writers, because life's too short to do boring work. References upon request.